In case the sugar skull on our bottle didn’t give it away, we’re big fans of the Day of The Dead. We love the meaning and mystique of it all, and we enjoy a good cocktail that represents the celebration and all its revelry.
That’s why we were excited to see one of the most vibrant mixologists/bloggers/fowl photographers we know – Drinking with Chickens – create a delicious Día de los Muertos-inspired cocktail. While many cocktails around this time of year are apple infused or pumpkin spiced, Drinking with Chickens turned to her garden and plucked marigolds to create an incredibly flavorful cinnamon-marigold syrup. Combined with Exotico Blanco Tequila, she was able to capture the essence of the Day of the Dead in this refreshing twist on a margarita.
She says she loves how the earthy, sweet-tea-like flavor of the syrup works with the peppery brightness of Exotico Blanco Tequila. She throws in citrus juices and a beautiful float of red wine to finish off a stunning cocktail that everyone – including spirits – would love.
- 1½ oz. Exotico® Tequila Blanco
- 1 oz. Fresh Orange Juice
- ½ oz. Lime juice
- ½ oz. Cinnamon-Marigold Syrup (Instructions Below)
- 1 c. Fresh Organic Marigold Petals
- ½ c. Cane Sugar
- 1 c. Water
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- ½ – 1 oz. Red Wine
- Orange Slice and Organic Marigold Blossoms (For Garnish)
- 1 tbsp. Coarse Sea Salt
For the Marigold Syrup:
- Thoroughly wash your marigold petals.
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, and lower heat to simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Makes about 1 cup.
For the cocktail:
- Prep your glass by running a lime wedge around the edge and then dipping it to coat in salt.
- Fill glass with ice, set aside.
- Add Exotico Tequila, both juices, and syrup to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake until chilled, and strain into your prepped glass.
- Hover a spoon, backside facing up, right over the top of the beverage.
- Slowly pour your red wine over the back of the spoon and onto the surface of the cocktail.
- Garnish with an orange slice and some marigold blooms.