STRAWBERRY MINT MARGARITA BY DRINKING WITH CHICKENS
Why did the chicken cross the road? To bring you this wintry margarita treat! Our fine feathered friends at Drinking with Chickens are at it again with a made-from-scratch clucktail crafted with ripe strawberries, strawberry mint sprigs and 100% blue agave Exotico® Blanco Tequila.
Strawberry mint is a perennial variety of peppermint that bears small leaves, lilac flowers and a deeply fragrant strawberry smell. Plants can be found at many gardening stores or purchased online through small businesses such as Project Tree Collard. It’s a great addition to any kitchen windowsill – making excellent impromptu tea leaves and, of course, a delectable ingredient in Exotico Tequila cocktails.
Muddle your freshly picked strawberry mint leaves and juicy, de-stemmed strawberries before adding ice, crisp Blanco tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and homemade strawberry mint syrup (instructions below). Then rim with a wedge of lime and equal parts sugar and salt for a refreshingly simple marg that will smooth anyone’s feathers.
- 2 oz. Exotico® Blanco Tequila
- 1 oz. Orange Liqueur
- 1 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
- ½ oz. Strawberry-Mint Syrup
- ½ c. Organic Cane Sugar
- ½ c. Water
- ½ c. Chopped Strawberries, Stems Removed
- ¼ c. Fresh Strawberry Mint (or Traditional Mint) Leaves
- 1 Fresh Strawberry + 3 Large Strawberry Mint Leaves for Muddling
- 1 Fresh Strawberry + Strawberry Mint Sprig for Garnish
- 1 tbsp Organic Cane Sugar + 1 tbsp Sea Salt + 1 Lime Wedge for the Rim
For the strawberry-mint syrup:
- Place strawberries in the bottom of a small saucepan and muddle thoroughly.
- Add water and sugar, and then bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Lower heat, add mint, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool thoroughly.
- Strain into an airtight container and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
For the cocktail:
- Start by prepping your glass. Mix sea salt and sugar and place on a small plate.
- Run lime slice along edge of margarita glass and then dip it in the sugar-salt mixture.
- Fill glass with crushed ice and set aside.
- In a shaker, add 1 strawberry and mint leaves and muddle briefly.
- Add ice. Add tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, and syrup, and shake vigorously until chilled.
- Strain into prepared glass and garnish with strawberry and mint.