Our favorite “garden-to-glass” mixologist, Drinking with Chickens, is back with another unique Exotico cocktail, along with plenty of fowl humor for garnish.
Drinking with Chickens says the tequila sunrise cocktail is super underrated, as it’s usually made with bottom-shelf ingredients and inexperienced bartenders. This hand-crafted Lavender Tequila Sunrise will certainly not suffer the same fate with its fresh herbs and, of course, the 100% blue agave quality of Exotico Blanco Tequila.
This girl has a flair for beautiful photography, and this setup is no exception. Can’t you smell the fresh lavender?
Instead of traditional cherry-flavored grenadine, this cocktail uses a lavender-infused grenadine–don’t worry, it’s made with pomegranate juice, sugar and lavender blossoms and easier to make than it sounds. If you don’t have a blooming herb garden, you can head to your local florist for fresh sprigs or to Amazon for a dried, food-grade version.
Just add that grenadine to fresh muddled lavender, ice, tequila and orange juice for a tequila sunrise that’s just as tempting to photograph as it is to drink.
So give your tequila sunrise an upgrade this summer! Whether you use blanco or reposado, let Exotico bring the fun and flavor you’re craving. Chickens not required, but they sure do make for entertaining company.
- 1 sprig Fresh Lavender to Muddle
- 4 oz. Fresh Orange Juice
- 2 oz. Exotico Blanco Tequila
- ¾ oz. Lavender-Infused Grenadine (instructions below)
- ½ c. Pomegranate Juice
- 1⁄3 c. Sugar
- ¼ c. Fresh Lavender Blossoms (or 1-1/2 tablespoons dried)
- Orange Slice + Fresh Lavender Blossoms for Garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring all ingredients just barely to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to fully cool.
- Strain into an airtight container and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
For the cocktail:
- In a shaker, place one sprig of fresh lavender, or a half dozen dried lavender blossoms in the bottom, and muddle just until fragrance is released.
- Add ice, then combine orange juice and tequila and shake until chilled.
- Fill glass with ice, and pour cocktail mixture into it.
- Slowly pour grenadine over along the inside edge of the glass, and allow it to settle to the bottom.
- Garnish with orange slice and lavender blossoms.
See more from Drinking with Chickens.