A Sneak Beak at the Passion Fruit Margaritas Recipe by Drinking with Chickens
Which came first, the passion fruit or the margarita? We’re sure our fine feathered friends over at Drinking with Chickens are a bit tired of this joke. But we aren’t.
And it doesn’t matter, anyway! Because with this tangy-sweet concoction, you can have your passion fruit and your margarita both. At. The. Same. Time.
In her true form, head hen Kate Richards has whipped up a recipe with an absolutely divine, made-from-scratch passion fruit liqueur. But for the young chicks who are looking for something a bit simple, sub out the fresh passion fruit and water for store-bought passion fruit juice and skip the pulp part of the recipe.
The only thing you can’t sub is our rich, barrel-rested Reposado Tequila. If you’re out, though, no need to fly the coop – you can have it delivered right to your nest using your preferred online retailer.
- 2 oz. Exotico® Reposado Tequila
- 1 oz. Lime Juice
- ½ oz. Passion Fruit Liqueur (or Orange Liqueur, or Elderflower Liqueur)
- ½ oz. Cinnamon Passion Fruit Syrup
- 1 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1 c. Water
- ½ c. Passion Fruit Pulp
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- ½ Passion Fruit for Garnish
- 1 tbsp. Coarse Sugar + 1 tbsp. Coarse Himalayan Sea Salt, for Rim
Cinnamon Passion Fruit Syrup Directions:
- Combine sugar, water, passion fruit pulp and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Discard cinnamon stick and transfer liquids to an air-tight container and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks (if you don’t like passion fruit seeds in your drink, strain the liquid first).
- Start by combining sugar and salt and place it on a small plate.
- Prep glass by rubbing a lime wedge around the rim, and then dipping the rim into the sugar/salt mixture.
- Fill glass with ice and set aside.
- Combine tequila, liqueur and lime juice in a shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into your prepped glass.
- Place your garnish passion fruit half in the top of your drink, and then pour your passion fruit syrup into the halved fruit.
- Once you are ready to drink, pour the syrup over the top of your drink, stir and enjoy.
See more from Drinking with Chickens.