SPICED PERSIMMON TEQUILA TODDY BY DRINKING WITH CHICKENS
Honeyed Fuyu persimmons. Bittersweet dark cocoa and warm, oaky Exotico® Reposado. Our feathered friends over at Drinking with Chickens have the perfect autumnal toddy to pair with the earthy flavors of Thanksgiving dinner – the Spiced Persimmon Tequila Toddy.
Aged for a minimum of six months in white oak bourbon barrels, our Reposado expression is a perfect match for this heartwarming and hand-warming hot toddy.
This talon-crafted recipe gives you every excuse to pick up those strange, orange fruits when they pop up in your local grocery store’s produce section. Cook them down with orange juice, cinnamon, anise and agave for a syrup that complements your favorite Thanksgiving dish.
Top with a spice-flecked persimmon slice and an anise pod for a mug that looks straight out of a still-life painting. Just don’t let it sit out and get cold!
- 2 oz. Exotico® Reposado Tequila
- 4 oz. Hot Water
- ½ oz. Lemon Juice
- ½ oz. Spiced Persimmon Syrup
- 2 Fuyu Persimmons, De-Stemmed and Chopped
- ½ c. Light Agave Syrup
- ¼ c. Water
- ¼ c. Orange Juice
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Anise Seed Pod
- 1 Black Tea Bag
- 3 Drops Chocolate Bitters
- ½ tbsp Agave Syrup, For Rimming
- 1 tbsp Dark Cocoa Powder
- Persimmon Slice, For Garnish
For the spiced persimmon syrup:
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium high heat, bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes until persimmons are nice and soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely, then strain into an airtight container and store for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
For the cocktail:
- Start by steep teabag in 4 ounces of hot water for around 2-3 minutes.
- Prep your hot toddy mug by dipping the rim in agave syrup and then rolling it in cocoa powder to rim it.
- Add tequila, lemon juice, and syrup to mug, and then top with prepared tea.
- Add bitters, then garnish. Dust the whole thing with a quick shake of cocoa powder.
See more from Drinking with Chickens.